Malcolm Gladwell, in Outliers, posited that if we spend 10,000 hours doing something, we will become expert at it. If I spend 10 hours a week it's going to take me about 19 years to become a really good artist. But that's ok, I'm going to give it a try by planning to spend 10 hours a week at it right now. Maybe when I reach my goal of part time work, I can spend more but really, life seems to get in the way and my other interests are going to creep in.
Luckily, it's September in Texas, the weather has cooled enough that I can truly enjoy my "studio", which is a Tuff Shed out back. It is cleaned up and ready to go.
I had a whole weekend to play this weekend, nothing else to do. I procrastinated by spending a lot of time cleaning and organizing and finally focused yesterday afternoon in the studio. I am supposed to be headed there now but am procrastinating writing this blog post.
I did create a background using techniques from Danielle Donaldson's Creative Girl book. I used a Strathmore 140lb watercolor notebook that I picked up for an online watercolor class with Jacqueline Newbold I took from Artful Gatherings this summer. For this one I only used Holbein watercolors.
I also took a great Mixed Media FX class from Joanna Grant but I haven't yet finished all the exercises, work gets in the way. I did start several backgrounds and made it through a lot of the steps but didn't actually get to the collage part. I still have hopes (and the backgrounds).
I tend to be one of those people that collects supplies, and it seems every one of these books has different supplies I need. I am hoping that in the end, I will have the time to use all the supplies!
![]() |
| Creative Girl background on Strathmore 140lb watercolor paper with Holbein colors |

No comments:
Post a Comment